Ruth Deutsch: Chartered Educational and Child Psychologist : Senior Feuerstein Trainer and Consultant Psychologist to the Hope Centre
IE Standard is a series of structured paper-and-pencil exercises that gradually increase in levels of difficulty and abstraction. The materials are organised into workbooks called “instruments” and each instrument focuses on a specific cognitive area such as analytic perception, comparison, classification, orientation in space and time, and so on. They may include verbal, mathematical, logical and even emotional skills, depending upon the needs of the learner. Learners are guided through the tasks by a mediator who helps them develop strategies for problem solving and analytic thinking that they can then carry on into the rest of their lives.
IE Standard can be used in a classroom or workplace setting, with small groups of targeted learners, and as a one-to-one therapeutic intervention.
IE Standard consists of 14 instruments in all.
IE training is offered in two formats:
- Divided into two parts: IE-1 and IE-2
- Divided into three parts: IE-1 [of 3], IE-2 [of 3], IE-3 [of 3]
We are organising a 2-day course on the Cognitive Abilities Profile (CAP) for the delegates on the MEd Dynamic Assessment Courses and other interested dynamic assessment practitioners. The course will be tutored by Ruth Deutsch (Day 1 & 2) and Jane Yeomans (Day 2) and will take place on Tues 2nd & Wed 3rd June 2015 in London (exact venue to be confirmed). Clearly this is a great opportunity to meet Ruth Deutsch, one of the authors of the CAP tool itself and also a Real Training MEd module tutor, Dr Jane Yeomans.
Cost of training
• Those delegates who have already booked onto Real Training’s MEd module ‘Dynamic Assessment: Application & Reflection’ have the cost of this 2-day CAP course included within the cost of the MEd module so no further training fees are required for the 2-day face-to-face course.
• For other delegates (not booked on MEd Dynamic Assessment: Application & Reflection module) , there will be a charge for the 2 day CAP course of £295 + VAT which will include lunch and refreshments. Please note, you are required to bring a CAP complete kit for use at the training and afterwards. See below for more information, if you need to purchase a CAP for the training. If you later book the MEd module ‘Dynamic Assessment: Application & Reflection’, the cost of this training would be deducted from the price of the module.
If you’d like to attend this 2-day CAP training course on 2nd & 3rd June in London, please click here to book, or contact Hannah Fairall for more information.
Ordering a Cognitive Abilities Profile.
For all delegates, there is an expectation that you will have access to a CAP test (manual & record forms) to refer to during the training and to use after the course. If you need to order a CAP test the price is £245 + VAT. Further information about the CAP is available here.. You can order a CAP directly from us through this website.
We now deliver our popular bespoke courses for teams across the UK. Contact us for a quote. We currently have no plans to put on a centrally run course for individuals.
Please note that everyone attending the training course requires access to the CAP Guidance Manual, Summary Forms and Record Forms (£245 + VAT). It is beneficial for you to familiarise yourself with the manual before attendance.
By the end of a typical bespoke course participants will:
- Be able to use the CAP to help teachers, parents and others understand the learner’s needs
- Be able to develop recommendations leading to an Intervention Plan
- Understand how to use the profile to systematically review progress.
The CAP (Deutsch and Mohammed, 2010) is an innovative tool for the use of Psychologists for consultation and observation of children. Through creating a shared language for the use of all those involved with a child, it aims to fill a gap between psychologists’ specialist knowledge of child development and cognitive processes, and the experience of classroom teachers (Deutsch & Reynolds, 2000).
The CAP provides psychologists with a structured framework using rating scales for identifying cognitive (thinking skills) needs within a solution focused approach. This leads to setting joint targets for intervention with teachers and others, both in and outside the classroom. The CAP is based on principles derived from dynamic assessment, without necessarily having to engage in 1:1 assessment.
Cognition and Emotion are two sides of a transparent coin (Feuerstein, et al. 2003)
(i) multi – professional work, supporting the goals of the Common Assessment Framework and Formative Assessment
(ii) identifying the interaction between cognition, learning behaviours and emotions. Using a cognitive focus to help address behavioural and emotional needs, thus supporting the goals of the SEAL curriculum.
Please contact us for more information to book a place on an upcoming course!
Launched on 6th November 2009 this site will grow to include details of dynamic assessment training courses and resources available to UK psychologists and teachers. The site also promotes the new Cognitive Abilities Profile published by Real Press. Use this websiste to Book a place on a CAP course.
Please contact us with details of links, courses or resources that you would like included.
Based on the concepts and principles of Dynamic Assessment, the CAP is a new versatile tool for consultation and observations of learners, to be used primarily by Educational Psychologists (EPs) working alongside teachers.
The CAP’s comprehensive Guidance Manual, Summary Forms and Record Forms is published by Real Press and costs £245 + VAT. This can be accompanied by a CAP training courses, delivered by Ruth & Michelle and/or on-line mentoring support. (All those attending a CAP course must have access to the above items for the duration of the course).
We regularly run CAP training at the BPS London office and lunch and refreshments are provided. Look out on our website for the latest course advertisements.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
– Use the CAP to help teachers, parents and others understand the needs of the learner
– Develop recommendations leading to a structured intervention plan
– Understand how to use the profile to systematically review progress over time
There will be post course support.
For more information:
CAP Training course | About the Authors | CAP FAQs | | CAP Summary and Record Forms | CAP Training Course Booking Form